Late Cape Verdean singer Cesária Évora is one of the most revered musicians the West African country has ever produced.
Died at the aged of 70, today, Tuesday, August 27, 2019 marks her 78th birthday and it is being marked with a Google Doodle.
In honour of this late, legendary vocalist, PlugTimes.com brings you five (5) this you need to know about the “Barefoot Diva”.
- She was known as the “Barefoot Diva”. Cesária was affectionately called by this name because she always performed without wearing shoes.
- She recorded the soundtrack “Ausência”, which was composed by Goran Bregović for the 1995 comedy-drama film Underground.
- Her 1992 album “Miss Perfumado” sold over 300,000 copies worldwide. It was on CD.
- In 2006 met journalist and songwriter Alberto Zeppieri in Italy who would dedicate to her “Capo Verde, terra d’amore”, taking care of all creative adaptations in Italian. Cesária agreed to duet with Gianni Morandi, Gigi D’Alessio and Ron. The project, now in its fifth volume, gives visibility and raises funds for the UN World Food Programme, for which Cesária was the Ambassador from 2003.
- She has eleven albums to her credit. These include La Diva aux Pieds Nus (1988), Distino di Belita (1990), Mar Azul (1991), Miss Perfumado (1992), Cesária (1995), Cabo Verde (1997), and Café Atlantico (1999). Others are São Vicente di Longe (2001), Voz d’Amor (2003), Rogamar (2006), Nha Sentimento (2009).
From all of us at PlugTimes.com, we wish Cesária Évora a posthumous birthday.
Source: Yaw Sarpong | PlugTimes.com
Do you have song(s) to promote, sponsored articles, exclusive stories you want our cherished readers to know about? Get in touch via email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org